< Back

Traveling advice

Plan your trip in advance

Planning trips during these times, whether for work or personal reasons, is a matter of concern for companies doing business abroad. If you are planning to visit the United States or the Netherlands, check out this practical guide. If you have specifics questions, you can always contact us.

I am living in the US and I have a Dutch passport. Can I travel to the Netherlands?

Yes, EU citizens may travel to the Netherlands regardless of their destination. It does not matter where you live.

The entry conditions may differ per Schengen, EU country. Inform yourself well about the entry conditions in other Schengen or EU countries.

It is advised to travel direct to the Netherlands. Transiting in other (EU-)countries may not always be possible, depending on their travel restrictions and requirements.

More information about the Dutch travel ban and their exemptions to be found on the website:


I live in the Netherlands and I have a Dutch passport. Can I travel for business to the US?

You can request entry at the US consulate in Amsterdam, Email: AmsterdamCOVID19@state.gov

Please make sure you explain them (well-documented) when you would like to travel, your position and company, the purpose of your visit, etc.

If you will be allowed entry, you have a 30 days lapse to enter the US.

I am an American living in the US. Can I travel to the Netherlands?

From 1 July 2020, you may re-enter the Netherlands if you live in one of the countries to which the entry ban does not apply.

Do you live in a country to which the entry ban does apply? In that case, you may only travel to the Netherlands if an exception applies to you.

Non-EU citizens covered by the undermentioned exceptions should travel well documented:

  • Nationals and inhabitants of Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino en Vaticancity, and their family members*;
  • Third-country nationals holding a residence card or a residence permit in accordance with Directive 2003/109/EC (the LTR Directive) and their family members*;
  • Third-country nationals who derive their right of residence from other European Directives or from the national law of a Member State and their family members*;
  • Holders of a long-stay visa (MVV);
  • Holders of a temporary residence permit (MVV) and their family members*;

Other third country nationals who have a vital function or need, including:

  • Healthcare personnel; doctors, nurses or researchers;
  • Border workers;
  • Seasonal agricultural workers;
  • Persons employed in the transport of goods and other transport personnel, where necessary, including container ships, bulk carriers (e.g. ore or coal), tankers (fuels and chemicals), fisheries, persons employed in the energy sector i.e. oil and gas platforms and wind farms as well as offshore companies providing services to this sector, and flight crew;
  • Seafarers in possession of a seaman's book, with the exception of seafarers on commercial and pleasure yachts;
  • Diplomats, in the performance of their duties;
  • Military personnel, in the performance of their duties;
  • Personnel of international and humanitarian organisations;
  • Persons who have imperative reasons to visit their families; these are journeys in exceptional cases.

An exceptional case is visiting a terminally ill family member and attending a funeral. It is intended for first-degree and second-degree family members. Father, mother and children are first-degree and partner, grandchildren, brothers and sisters are second degree.

  • To attend the birth of a child. This exemption category is only meant for the father, the child must be acknowledged by the father and the pregnancy must be >34 weeks. This must be documented.
  • Citizens of non-EU+ countries can transfer to a country outside the EU+ via Amsterdam airport, if they remain in the non-Schengen transit area of the airport and if they have a ticket for a confirmed connecting flight -to an airport outside the Schengen area- that departs within 48 hours upon arrival in Amsterdam.
  • Persons in need of international protection; the border procedure applies in full;
  • Persons admitted for humanitarian reasons;
  • Students; provided that you are in possession of a residence notification letter issued by the IND: ''Study''.
  • Highly skilled migrants: provided that you are in possession of a notification letter issued by the IND for residence as: Highly skilled migrant.

*Details of family members: children, married or in a registered partnership or with a certificate of cohabitation of at least 6 months to establish a lasting and exclusive relationship. The latter can be demonstrated by a notarial deed (cohabitation agreement or in Dutch: samenlevingscontract) or a rental contract or purchase agreement. Or a notification letter issued by the IND for a stay with a partner.

In general for those travelers who fall under the exemptions: travel well-documented.

Do I need to go into quarantine?

If you are traveling to the Netherlands, check all the recommendations here: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/travel-and-holidays/self-quarantine

If you are traveling or returning to the US, check this guidelines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html